My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 sec.
If not, visit http://www.msteh.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Health : Thyroid

Thyroid - I don't really know much about it except that it causes the glands at our neck area to swell a little.

This morning, I have just had my health review and I am suspected to have thyroid.

So I did a little reading... and this is one of the interesting article I found :

Left-Handedness and Ambidexterity
Left-handedness tends to be more common among men than women, while autoimmune thyroid disease tends to happen more in women. Thus if you try to find out the frequency of any degree of left-handedness among thyroid patients the answer you get depends on whether you ask men or women with thyroid trouble about hand preference.

In an informal research survey, Doctors Lawrence Wood and David Cooper asked 74 men with Graves' or Hashimoto's disease about this and found that 12 were pure left handers, 40 ambidextrous, and only 22 pure right handers. Thus, 70 percent of these men had some degree of left-handedness. In contrast, among 24 individuals with other types of thyroid problems such, as benign and cancerous nodules, only two were left-handed and four ambidextrous for a total of 25%; 75% being right-handed.

So if you or someone in your family are completely or partially left-handed, this may be a clue that there is also a tendency to autoimmune problems including Graves' and Hashimoto's diseases on that side of the family.


I am a lefty, so does it mean I have higher tendency?

Sounds a little scary isn't it. I'll have to see another doctor this afternoon.

But I'll be oke, just a little discomfort perhaps... please bear with me oke?!

** She lets a little quiet sigh...

4 comments:

little snail said...

You'll be fine. Don't worry too much before you check again.

Ms Teh said...

Thanks my dear... I'm glad to know someone is reading my blog too ;)

little snail said...

a little worry about you. Seaweed may help.

Ms Teh said...

Thanks again. I am ok, diagnosed with thyroid really... but I am on medication now :)